Thursday, July 14, 2011

Back to school basics

I realized this morning that we are only 5 weeks away from school starting.  I usually wait until the last minute to get school clothes and supplies for my children and end up shopping with the mob and being just as disappointed as everyone else when the stores have run out of a few items that I want.  Not this year! 

For the first time, our elementary school gave us the option of buying supplies through them and we jumped at the chance.  The price was comparable to what I have to spend going to the stores, plus I don't have to find individual lists for each of the grades or wade through the back-to-school crowds.  We paid for everything at the end of the last school year and they'll have the supplies for us when the kids return in the Fall.  It's genius, I tell ya!

Today I'd like to recommend a few products that we use and love. 
I've tried many kinds of reusable sandwich boxes and most of the lids don't stay tight after repeated use.  I love the Wonder Bread sandwich boxes (although you can find them at Walmart for about $3 if you don't wait until right before school starts-right in the cereal or bread aisle).
Kleen Kanteens are wonderful!  They have interchangeable tops so you can get the type that's just right for your child.  They don't leak and the kids are strong enough to open and close the sport tops.  They are pretty tough.  We've had ours for about a year and a half and they still look brand new.
There is such a large selection of lunch bags pretty much everywhere that we've never had a problem finding something that works.  Two things that I think are nice to have are zipper closures (rather than Velcro) and 2 separate compartments to keep hot and cold things separate.  I also like to have a few extras for when someone inevitably forgets a lunch bag at school or when I need to throw one in the wash.
Speaking of hot foods, our kids love their little thermoses.  They are the perfect size for some warm soup on a cold day.  Anything that is a little bit wet is safe inside these babies.  No spills, no leaks.
I use Rubbermaid blue ice to keep everything refrigerated but there are some cute ice packs available.
My kids tell me that most of their friends get new backpacks every year.  I generally just replace backpacks when the zippers break or when my daughter drags her backpacks over the cement until the bottom is shredded (hypothetically, of course!).  We had a preschool backpack from Baby Gap that lasted for almost 3 years and was a great size up through 1st grade.  Around 2nd grade they start needing a regular size backpack.  We like this one from Target.  It's pretty durable and has lots of compartments.
The only thing I have to say about back to school clothing is that great deals can be found at thrift stores, garage sales, and consignment sales if you're willing to spend a little more time shopping.  I often find brand new clothes at our local thrift stores with tags still attached.  I do always buy new shoes for my kids because I don't want any wear on the soles messing with the way they walk.  Plus, unlike clothes, most shoes can't be easily washed to get rid of germs and bacteria. 

Let me know if you have any great back to school tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment