Thursday, July 7, 2011

Old Fashioned Chicken

Recently I wanted to make a cake but was out of eggs. I searched online and found that you can use soda pop as a substitution. I tried it and it worked! I wanted to make chocolate frosting to go with it but was out of milk and cocoa (Are you noticing a theme? I got my hiney to the store today). I ended up using evaporated milk and a chocolate bar and we all thought it was quite good.

Because I had an almost full can of evaporated milk from the experimental frosting, I pulled out the only recipe that I could think of that uses evaporated milk: Old Fashioned Chicken. This is a dish I grew up with, athough I'm not sure if my mom came up with it or if it's been in the family for generations. It's not something I would typically make during the summer because the oven and stove are used, which heats up my kitchen, but once it was cooking I was so glad that I was going to get to eat it!


Old Fashioned Chicken
makes 8 servings

4 lbs. chicken, cut into pieces
1/4 c. flour
salt and pepper
cooking spray
8 oz mushrooms, quartered
3 cans whole potatoes
1 medium onion, cut into thin rings
2 cups evaporated milk, can use skim
1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper


Mix flour, salt and pepper in a large zippered bag. Throw a few pieces of chicken in the bag and shake. Heat heavy skillet, spray with cooking spray and add floured chicken. Continue adding chicken to the bag, then into the pan until all the chicken is browned on both sides. Place in a deep pan. Add potatoes, onions, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with evaporated milk. Cook in 350 degree oven until tender and the sauce thickens (a little over 1 hour). This is delicious served along with roasted asparagus!

No comments:

Post a Comment