Wednesday, July 13, 2011

To sew or not to sew

When the girls were babies I bought a bunch of pink toile and coordinating striped fabric (around 9 yards) because I wanted to make them bedding, curtains, etc. even though I had no idea how to sew.  I have since learned enough about sewing to be dangerous but have never done anything with the fabric, partly because it's such a big project, but also because now I feel like the pink toile is too fru fru for my girls.


Right now the girls' room is apple green with dark, medium, and light pink bedding with tiny green ribbons.  Over the years the girls have tugged on the ribbons, knotted them, unravelled them, and generally been rough on them.  

I am thinking about making bedding again, this time with the pink striped fabric (that I already have) and this fun green print and painting the room light yellow (like the yellow flower in the bottom left corner).

Another idea I have is to buy bedding.  I found a great deal the other day on some yellow, green, and blue comforters and shams that were on clearance but now I can't remember where I saw them.  Oops!  I'm going to need to find them again. 

I may do a combination of purchased bedding and making fabric headboards with the green fabric like this:

The other thing that I'm thinking about doing is refinishing the furniture to make it all white.  Right now we have two beds that are a honey maple, one metal frame bed, two matching unfinished pine dressers, and one espresso stain maple dresser.  The dark dresser and two maple beds are very old and I would probably be destroying their value if I refinish them.

So really, I haven't decided on anything.  Any bright ideas?  

No comments:

Post a Comment