Friday, October 2, 2009

The First Entry



Well, I'm new to this whole blogging thing but I've been feeling like I need some kind of outlet. Being a stay-at-home mom is great but sometimes feels like the same thing over and over. I'm still trying to figure out who God has created me to be and where my talents lie. I've always loved reading and thought that being an author would be one of the coolest jobs. While blogging is nothing like penning a book, it is something I can do when I have time and doesn't feel quite as threatening for some reason.

Is it normal to be 28 and still have no idea what you're good at or what you're passionate about? I have many things that interest me but nothing that I feel is something I should be pursuing. I love dancing (ballroom and swing) and was once a dance instructor for a short time. Though I loved dancing everyday, I felt like there were many people who took lessons to start a relationship or just to be touching someone, which was not what I wanted. I think that aspect would be hard to get away from with couple dancing. I love reading and have played with writing a few times but feel so bashful about anyone reading, much less critiquing, my work that I am pretty sure I will never take writing seriously. I love interior design but don't feel like I want to spend my life using other people's disposable income when there are so many people with real needs in the world. I think I would like to investigate midwifery but don't know if the demands of that kind of job would work for my family.

Then there is the here and now, the fact that I am a mom and wife. I have such a wonderful, amazing family but I feel like I don't have enough patience, compassion, or creativity to excel at the job I have already chosen. I spent most of my life envisioning being a wife and a mother. Who I am just doesn't seem to add up to the idealized self of my daydreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment