Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bittersweet


Risa, my two year old, just walked into the office and announced: "I'm going to my meeting. I have my phone and my coffee. Goodbye." Sometimes I'm amazed at what she says. Today I mostly just felt sad. I've been so busy with all my commitments this year (I'm the Secretary for Oklahoma Mothers of Multiples, 2nd VP for Tulsa Mothers of Multiples, running the TMOMs bi-annual garage sale, on the board for both TMOMs and OMOMs, volunteering in the nursery, and coaching Bible Bowl), that I feel like I'm gone all the time. My kids beg me to stay every time I have a meeting or an event to attend. At this point, I just need to stick it out until May for the multiples clubs and then I can step down. I plan on continuing to volunteer at church because much of that is with my kids, rather than something I do solo. My husband has been so great about taking over with the kids without complaint when I need to be somewhere but I know this is wearing on him as well. He has started traveling more for work so it feels like we rarely get family time. I know that volunteering is about helping others but I think that I'm so overly committed that my family is paying too big a price. I'm trying to finish strong but am really looking forward to May. So here's to restoring balance!

1 comment:

  1. How funny, what a great post! The multiples clubs events sound interesting, too.


    My name is Abigail Pogrebin; I'm an identical twin and former 60 Minutes producer who just published a book about twins called "One and the Same." I think any parent of twins or multiples will find much to chew on and maybe some guidance as to how to dodge pitfalls of doubleness. I'd love to speak to you about the possibility of a book review and/or author Q&A. My email is apogrebin@gmail.com, website:www.abigailpogrebin.com.

    ReplyDelete