Friday, January 8, 2010

A New Year


A few weeks ago I was reading in Romans chapters 6 and 7. As I was reading I kept thinking that the message was so powerful and I wished that I was better at memorizing scripture. The next thought that I had was about my journey to run a marathon. Most of my life my secret wish to run a marathon seemed out of my reach, it was just a nice dream. But I started running, and kept running, and now I'm halfway to this goal that seemed insurmountable. I am now full of confidence that I will be able to run the marathon.

It occurred to me that our spiritual goals can be much the same way. We wish that we were intercessors or that we knew the scriptures or that we could verbalize our faith to others. These things that seem beyond us are attainable if we just go after them, even if we have to take baby steps. Memorization is not a strength of mine. Neither is recall. But I'm not going to let those things stop me. I have two goals for myself this year. One is to run the full marathon. The other is to memorize Romans 6 and 7.

I'm going to start today.

No comments:

Post a Comment