Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ribbons, Ribbons, Everywhere!

At our house we have what we call "the hair basket" to hold, well, hair things for our three girls. Over the six and a half years that I've had daughters, we have accumulated a few things to fill that basket. In fact, we have so many that my husband (who is not usually bothered by things overflowing out of drawers, doors, and whole rooms) told me that he hated how disorganized the girls' hair basket had become. My husband rarely complains so I figured that if it was a big enough deal for him to mention it, that I should really do something about it. I didn't want to spend money so I looked around on the ol' internet and found some good ideas. One blogger used empty infant formula cans for storing buttons.


We don't use infant formula anymore but we use a huge amount of coffee and have lately been buying 2.5 pound cans of coffee. One of these cans isn't big enough for all the hair stuff but it is big enough to hold the ribbons, bows, and head bands. We recently finished off one of these cans so I cleaned it and set to work.

Here is what I used:
1 empty coffee can
spray craft glue
2 brown paper bags
animal stamps and ink pad
crayons
black ink pen
scissors

I cut one of the brown bags to lay flat and used it to protect my work surface from the glue spray. I cut the other bag so it would fit around the can and glued it on. I am not very artistic so I decided to make scenes by using the animal stamps and filling in the scene first with the black ink pen and then color everything with the crayons. It took me about an hour to finish it but I think it's pretty cute. As we have more of these cans available I think I might do a few more with jungle animals and farm animals for organizing craft stuff.







No comments:

Post a Comment