Saturday, January 9, 2010

Molly


Since I was a little girl I have always wanted an english bulldog. I knew that my bulldog would be male and that he would have the sweetest personality. He was going to be mostly white with a little brown on his face and body and have lots of wrinkles. I even had his name picked out: Louis. Then I went to college, got married, and started a family and Louis was put on the back burner.

Well, a little over a year ago Jason called me one day while he was at work to see if I wanted a pug to call my very own. One of his co-workers had a puppy from a litter that she didn't want to keep anymore (she was 4 months old) and she was looking for a home for her. He said I needed to decide that afternoon before someone else took her. I did a quick search on the internet to find out more about the breed. I knew about bulldogs but didn't know anything about pugs. I was worried that she might not survive in our house full of crazy kids. I found out that pugs are lap dogs, love attention, and find one person to love and love them wholeheartedly. After researching and contemplating (for about 10 minutes) I called Jason back and told him that I wanted her.

He brought her home that weekend. We told our three oldest children that they could help name her (Risa was only one at the time). They each picked a name and she became Molly Lucy Lumpy Lawrence.

She was a sweet little pup with a nasty habit of peeing (among other things) on anything soft, since she spent the first months of her life in her owner's bed while she was at work. I would take her outside to go, which she would do, then we'd come back inside and she would run to one of the bedrooms, hop up on the bed, and leave a little treat on the blankets. Potty training seemed to last forever.

Eventually, we prevailed and Molly has been a joy ever since. Sometimes Jason and I laugh at the competition between Risa and Molly for my lap. They both want to be the baby of the family. I still hope to have Louis in my life someday but I am so happy that we made a spur-of-the-moment decision to include our little bundle of hair in our crazy life. My only advice to people considering a pug, or any dog for that matter, is to have lots of lint rollers handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment